U2 Health Care Spending Account (HCSA)

The Health Care Spending Account (HCSA) is available for members of CUPE 3902 Unit 2 (Sessional Lecturers, Teaching Assistants, Writing Instructors, and Undergraduate Tutors employed by Victoria University in the University of Toronto).

The NEW minimum for HCSA entitlement is 50 hours per academic year. All members who work for at least 50 hours are eligible for the HCSA. You can enrol yourself in the HCSA by filling out this form. Please submit the completed form to the Bursar’s Office at Victoria University (Northrop Frye Hall, Room 115). Enrolment in the HCSA is NOT automatic: please remember to enrol yourself. Eligibility for reimbursement begins on the date of employment, not the date of enrolment.

See your amount of coverage in the chart below:

50-239 hours or .5 FCE $295.43
240-379 hours or 1.0 FCE $590.86
280-519 hours or 1.5 FCE $886.29
520-660 hours or 2.0 FCE $1181.72
660 hours or more $1447.13

Those members covered by a UofT Employee Benefit Plan (not your GSU or UTSU plan or Unit 1 or 3 plans) are not eligible for this coverage.

Eligible expenses are those that qualify as a medical expense tax credit under the Income Tax Act, including prescription eyeglasses, dental expenses, medical devices and supplies, prescription drugs, and services of paramedical practitioners. A list of eligible medical expense tax credits can be found on the Canada Revenue Agency website.

Once you’ve enrolled, you can make claims. Click here to download the HCSA claim form. Submit the form with your original receipts for medical expenses to Greenshield. If you have any problems, please contact the Union office: (416) 593-7057.

Reimbursement from your HCSA is not taxable under current Income Tax Act rules. However, once you receive reimbursement for an eligible expense under your HCSA, you cannot also claim this expense as a medical expense tax credit on your tax return.